Sunday, December 9, 2012

Chaos Daemons Chosen 2012 Update #2

Managed to get some painting done over the weekend. Though not as much as I would have liked.

Earlier on had a bit of a panic as I suddenly realised that I didn't have the Changeling model. Luck was on my side though as a quick shout out on Facebook yielded the model that I needed.

Thank you to the Dutchman in Penang! Now I just have to replace the model that he loaned to me.

So I got started on the Lord of Change and Daemon Prince as these would be the focal point of the army and I wanted to spend as much time as I could on them.

Also managed to basecoat all the models (except the Changeling).

Started doing the chiaroscuro for the LoC, DP and flamers.

Recap for those who missed my earlier post:

1. Basecoat whole model Chaos Black spray.
2. First drybrush all over with Codex Grey using large drybrush.
3. 1st highlights with Fortress Grey using large drybrush.
4. 2nd highlights with Fortress Grey / Skull White mix, using large drybrush, hitting the highest areas.
5. Final highlights with Skull White using a small drybrush, only hitting the highest points. Edge highlighting where requrired.

After doing that I'm left with this:

Chiaroscuro done.
 
Did the same with the DP.

 After drybrushing the flamers, I started to layer in the colour washes.

1. Guilliman Blue glaze 1:3 with water.
2. For the flamers fire, I used Kabalite Green 1:3 with water to block in where I wanted a 'ghostly flame' look - mainly on the hands and the flames around their back and head.

After first few layers of washing. Can't really see the effect on the flamers in this pic. (will try to post some better shots)

This is after 3 layers of blue and green washes.
 The trick with chiaroscuro is to get a nice monotone to set your highlights and shading, then you just need to wash the model in your selected colour. However on large models like the LoC, you will need to take it another step and do some highlighting after you are done blocking in the large areas of colour.

One thing I like about the LoC is the amount of texture on the model rewards careful highlighting. I'll probably need to do some final highlights and glaze over with ink to complete the effect I'm looking for but overall I'm quite happy with the way it turned out.

Added several more layers of blue and started to layer in some Hawk Turquoise on the leading edges of the wings.

 Am looking to have a gradation of colour from an Icy Blue through Hawk Turquoise, to Dark Blue and finally blending into purple at the trailing edge of the wings.

 

Still lots to be done, so I'm going to be painting up a storm over the next 3-4 days.

Wish me luck!




No comments:

Post a Comment